30 November 2005

Silly Christmas Song Lines


You've sang the lines before and never really quite understood them:

Don we now our gay apparel!

Really . . . all homosexual references aside (rainbow scarves, upside down pink triangle bra cups), the other image that comes to mind is the frightening green puff painted sweatshirt that had a jingly bell on it which Mrs. (insert teacher's name here) wore back in 4th grade. Does anyone really want to don "gay apparel?"

So drop a line here . . . share some silly lines from holiday tunes here as we get ready for this festive season of decking, donning and deering (as in Dasher)!

4 comments:

Lane said...

I don't think this counts as silly, but I was sitting in our "Hanging of the Greens" service last night, and when we sang "Joy to the World", it struck me as odd that the first line is "Joy to the world, the Lord is come!" Maybe that's just 18th century grammar for ya. It seems, to make it grammitacally correct, one would have to say "Joy to the world, the Lord has come", although that might be construed as theologically incorrect as the kingdom of God is here now, so then it might have to be "Joy to the world, the Lord is here", although that probably changes the original intent. You see the dilemna here?

Mary said...

The silliest Christmas song I've heard lately is that annoying song "Christmas Shoes." Every time I hear it or see gift books or made for TV movie previews on the subject, I want to smash something, similar to my favorite scene in _Office Space._

Ciona said...

"Please have snow and mistletoe and presents on the tree."

I'll be Home for Christmas is a sweet song. I don't know about your family, but mine never puts presents on the tree.

What presents could actually fit on a tree anyway? Money!!!! In which case, this is a BRILLIANT line that my family needs to adopt this year for sure! :)

DogBlogger said...

"Up on the housetop, reindeer pause..."

I think I was in college before I actually saw that line in print, noticed that the word "pause" was not "paws," which shouldn't have ever made sense to me anyway, because -- wait a minute -- hey, reindeer don't have PAWS, they have hooves!!!

And I'm an English major, too...