02 April 2006

Say "I Do" to Registering


I was leading worship at a single's retreat last weekend, and they asked several questions about being single during the retreat sessions. I participated in the groups, and I had a revelation: I just don't "feel single." Sure, I have moments when I miss the companionship of a serious dating relationship. And there are many moments when I have to listen to married people who seem to think this is a great conversation piece: "You're so pretty. Why aren't you married?" As if beauty had anything to do with a covenant relationship for life! Still I don't find my identity in whether I'm with someone or not, so I don't think of "being single" too often. I travel, I explore, I write, I dance, I am . . .

Then it happened. I went to Target this week and saw a wonderful collection of plates in the housewares section. I could really use new plates, and these were funky/beautiful. And they cost more than I could spend. At that moment, I felt single. I thought, "I wish I were getting married." Then I could put these plates on an internet list and Voila! As the award for being pretty enough to marry, these funky/beautiful plates would wind up at my door!

Last night we were talking to an engaged couple at F. Scott's. When asked where they were registered, they said, "We haven't done it yet. We will, I guess, but we really don't need anything. We both have so many great things already."

Now I won't say that I need anything at all; I recognize that I'm far more well off than most of the world. In the grand scheme of life, a funky/beautiful place setting or a nice set of pots are not going to take me very far. I just question why the engaged couple who self-proclaim that there's no need for them to register will be loaded with housewares I could really use.

Alas, maybe I'll write Oprah and see if she'll host a show where single gals/guys can register and she'll purchase it all for us! :) Then I can go on with my oh-so-important material possessions and live a life of not "feeling single" again. Well, at least until someone asks me why I'm not married . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not single, but I did not have a bridal shower so I am always wishing to go register and have one. LOL! I just bougth Leila funky beautiful plates for her wedding. From Target even. Wonder if they are the same ones.

John said...

Target is a good choice. My wife and I made use of the many Target gift cards given to us to defray the expenses of the wedding for months afterwards.

It does seem like the wedding industry has gotten ridiculously expensive in recent years.

Ciona said...

Ooo . . . Amazon wishlist. How fun! Target needs a wishlist, as well. I shall be wishlisting very soon!

Jonathan, I noticed NeedtoBreathe in your list. I used to be high school friends w/ the drummer! So fun! They're coming to Nashville w/ the Fray.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jonathan. Who needs a bridal shower to have a wishlist? Have you ever seen that episode of Sex and the City? The one where one of the gals signed up for the most expensive shoes ever? You should watch that. I loved that episode!

Karen Sapio said...

I've always said, when I rule the world I will decree: Everyone should get to register at the time they set up their first real independent household, (i.e. not temporary student housing,whether they are doing this with someone else or singly. My only caveat would be that if you do it singly you don't get a "do-over" when you couple up.