25 August 2005

My Becoming

"What is present to me is what has a hold on my becoming."

This is the first line of one reflection a few days ago at Sacred Space, a daily online devotional site of the Irish Jesuits.

I think of the things that were present to me today: doubts of my ability to do good news reporting, and luggage I carry from previous hurts. I read beautiful poetry today by Galway Kinnell. I rested for a few minutes in the thoughts that someone special in my life cares for me. I spent time with my sister at the Frothy Monkey. The things that stayed with me all day long, however, were my doubts and my baggage. I meditated on self-deprecation. What am I becoming today?

"I reflect on the presence of God always there in love, amidst the many things that have a hold on me. I pause and pray that I may let God affect my becoming in this precise moment."

"And all of us, with unveiled faces, seeing the glory of the Lord as though reflected in a mirror, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another; for this comes from the Lord, the Spirit." (2 Cor. 3:18)

No comments: